Monday, July 11, 2011

Yaz, Hank and Jeets

Christian Lopez Grabs Derek Jeter's 3,000 Baseball, Gives It Back

It was the summer of 1969. I was a 13 year old buck-toothed baseball fanatic engaged in my final year of voracious baseball card collecting. During those long ago breezy summer days it was all baseball. We played all day, trading cards in our spare time. We watched Yaz, Hammerin' Hank and the Amazin' Mets on TV. The walls of my bedroom were covered with my baseball idols and collages of SI covers. A new kid on the block spotted a 2' x 3' poster of Yaz on my wall. The precocious 8 year old Brad just couldn't take his eyes of the Red Sox great. He just had to have Yaz. So, we made a deal. I dealt the Yaz poster for Brad's 1962 Topps Hank Aaron card, given him by his dad. I took advantage of Brad, but I wanted Hank worse than he wanted Yaz. I felt a little guilty trading my worn out, torn, $ .50 poster for a prized ball card of my favorite player. But, it didn't stop me. I felt bad for a few days, but then never really thought about it until today.
Last weekend, Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter became the 28th MLB player, and first Yankee to join the 3,000 hit club. Jeets always does things with style and hit # 3,000 was no different. He smacked a home run into the hands of Yankee fan Christian Lopez. So, what did Lopez do? He gave the ball back to 'Mr. Jeter' saying, "He earned it." What is this world coming to? No auction? No bargaining? Holy cow, maybe I'll just leave the keys in my car tonight and not lock the front door! In return for the ball the Jeter gave Lopez 3 bats, 3 balls, and 2 signed jerseys. The Yankees will provide 4 season tickets for the remainder of the season. I find this so refreshing. Remember the two greedy Giants fans who sued each other over who rightfully caught a Barry Bonds home run ball? Then, there was the sale of Mark McGwire's 70th home run ball for around $3 million. I wonder what that ball is worth today? Probably as valuable as a syringe and a 25g needle. What would you do? Would you give the ball back to Jeter like Lopez did, or would you cash in? What's right? What's wrong? How much is doing the right thing worth? Nicely done, Christian Lopez! I still have Brad Backman's 1962 Aaron card. According to e-bay, it is worth about $65. I'm sure the Yaz poster went into the junk heap long ago. If you're out there, Brad, I've got something for you.

1 comment:

  1. So if he wants the card back are you gonna charge him the $65?

    ReplyDelete