Monday, July 18, 2011

Robots Among Us?

Growing up in a small town in Utah reaped many fond memories. Among them was when my dad piled our little family into the Chevy Bel Air and made the drive to the ‘big city’ for dinner. One night we made the jaunt to a brand new ‘fancy’ restaurant, The Sizzler Steakhouse. What a treat! Since I was the oldest, I got to order steak and salad with mom and dad. My little sisters were relegated to the kid’s meal equipped with crayons. I used to love those dinner salads in the little white bowls with a cherry tomato and Thousand Island dressing. Then, there were the fine ‘steaks’, those ½ ground rounds, smothered with ketchup, with the baked potato, veggies and a roll! Yum! Self serve ice cream for dessert, it just didn’t get any better. So, it was with bewilderment tonight as I watched the news and a Sizzler commercial came on hawking their new “Hand crafted burger.” Hand crafted? What does that mean? How else does one assemble a burger? Being a veteran cook at Glade’s Drive-in, I know what it takes to put together a hamburger. According to my recollection, usage of your hands is usually necessary. Now, Sizzler is going to 'hand craft' their burgers, which begs the question, how did they craft them previously? Did they have a team of robots or automatons, hidden in the back reaches of their kitchens, flipping burgers? I had pretty much given up on the Sizzler in recent years, but now I may have to go check things out. I might have to launch an investigation.  Come to think of it, what have R2D2 and C-3PO been doing since Star Wars faded off into a Galaxy Far, Far Away? Were they 'crafting' burgers for Sizzler? Oh well, now they are among the the millions of the unemployed. Maybe they'll find something at the cantina in Mos Eisley.


No comments:

Post a Comment