Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sports Talk Overload


Who could ever believe that I have reached Sports Talk Overload? Certainly my lovely wife will never believe it, even if I swear on a stack of bibles.  But, I’m there. This summer of sports discontent has finally done me in. Whew, what a summer it has been! First, the NFL lock-out. Those wing-nuts waged the battle royale between   their bunch of billionaires on one side and a glob of millionaires on the other. Thank goodness that was finally settled…………………….so we could hear more talk on the radio about................ the NBA lockout. Those despot owners and their militant fearless leader David Stern aren’t even talking anymore to their spoiled brat players, led by Laker D Fish. I guess that $5,000,000 average annual NBA salary just ain’t cutting it. In the immortal words of the now retired strangler swing-man, Latrell Sprewell, “I gotta feed my family.’  So instead of talking about free agent signings and Jimmer Fredette's rookie season we have to hear about the ridiculous antics of Metta World Peace, er, Ron Artest....... or Kobe Bryant rough housing at church. Heck, The Black Mamba can’t even go to church anymore. He whacked some guy who was trying to snap a photo, now that loser has filed a suit! Holy crap! Those damn lawyers! Who knew Kobe even went to church? Marie Osmond attended my church a few months back. Thank goodness no one tried to get her picture! For heck's sake, summer should be for baseball, but for Dodger fans, this season has been like  having a toenail removed without anesthesia.  'Malignant' Frank McCourtoma has turned Dodger Stadium  into an aging mausoleum with only a few faithful mourners left to cheer on their mostly minor leaguesk heroes. If it weren’t for Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw and Dodger Dogs we’d be total goners. So much for the National Pastime. 
Then, last week I read this, in my favorite rag, Sport Illustrated:
“Sign of the Apocalypse: A female Georgia Tech fan has filed a civil lawsuit claiming that security at a Yellow Jackets football game last year gave her a full strip search in pursuit of a Chick-fil-A sandwich that they believed she was smuggling into Bobby Dodd Stadium.” That is just hilarious! Finally, something to laugh about this summer. I am counting my lucky stars. Several years ago I smuggled a piece of strawberry cheese cake into a movie theater. I’m glad I escaped the strip search. Sadly, my yellow sweater got stained from having hidden the gooey pastry in the back of my pants. (True story) But finally, today was the straw that broke the camel’s back. After work, I hopped into my faithful F-150 for the short commute home. I tuned into ESPN 710 LA and what were they yakking about? Michael Vick. Huh? He’s old news isn’t he? Oh, I guess not. The fill in hosts were speculating about comments made by Vick in a recent article in some fish wrap. Apparently, they droned, Vick really didn’t want to play for the Eagles after his stint in the big house. Commish Roger Goddell steered him to Philly. My response? Who gives a crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please, can’t the NFL regular season start now???????????????????? When is BYU’s first game? Let’s play this Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will this sports summer from Hell ever end?

But, alas, like a rubber necking motorist gawking at the burning sports car, I’m sure I will tune into Sports Talk radio again tomorrow.


2 comments:

  1. So you are like all of the idiots who stopped and stared at me today as I worked on the side of the freeway in the rain. Sheesh, you'd think no one has ever seen a car accident before. You'd think people would learn that misjudgments happen to everyone and that you just waste your time gawking at others' public displays of stupidity and only make yourself look less intelligent. So, you sure you're going to subject yourself to such antics again by listening in tomorrow? Interesting. And you're a specialties what again?

    ReplyDelete